Skip to main content

New Massachusetts Probate & Family Court Forms - Answers & Counterclaims

Post by Valerie Qian.

We’ve all been feeling a lot of anxiety and uncertainty during this election season. Amidst this uncertainty, the Probate and Family Court has issued two new forms to make the beginning of a Massachusetts divorce case, at least, a little bit less uncertain. Effective immediately, parties who are served with or accept summons on a Complaint for Divorce can respond on the court’s new Answer and Counterclaim forms.

The Divorce Process Options in Massachusetts:

In Massachusetts parties can file a Joint Petition for Divorce or a Complaint for Divorce.  We encourage couples to first consider Mediation and Collaborative options, which typically lead to a Joint Petition filing.  However, sometimes there are emergency issues or protective issues that require the filing of a Complaint for Divorce to get a court process started.  Or, as we see too often, someone who wasn't informed about their other options files a Complaint because they believe that is the only option, and now their spouse is faced with the question of how to respond.

The Complaint for Divorce and Joint Petition forms are available on the court's website. Under the court rules, after someone files a complaint (the "Plaintiff"), they receive a document called a summons.  The Plaintiff is then required to serve the summons on the other party (service can be by constable or accepted by signing in front of a notary). The summons indicates the name and address that the "Defendant" needs to send their Answer and/or Counterclaim to.

After the Defendant is served with (or accepts service of) the complaint and summons, they are required to file a document called an Answer with the court within 20 days. The Answer responds to each of the numbered paragraphs in the original Complaint for Divorce. It is basically a place where they can confirm for the court basic facts of the case like a) their name and address, b) where they were married, c) when they were married, d) their children’s names and ages, and e) the kinds of relief they're asking the court for in their final divorce (which are generally the same in almost every case – a division of property, a judgment of divorce, a parenting schedule, child support, health insurance, etc.).

It is unlikely that a Defendant would be penalized if they forget to send an Answer, but it is good form to always submit an Answer. It tells the court that they intend to participate in the divorce proceedings and will protect against their spouse trying to seek relief from the court without their knowledge.

After someone is served with (or accepts service of) the complaint and summons, the Defendant also has the option to file a document called a Counterclaim for Divorce with the court. The Counterclaim is basically another form of a Complaint for Divorce. When the Defendant files a Counterclaim, they are telling the court and their spouse that they are also seeking this divorce, and they also believe the marriage is over. This is not a required document either, but can be helpful in notifying the court of the Defendant's intentions.

The New Court Forms:

Until recently, both the Answer and the Counterclaim were documents that a party or attorney had to prepare on their own. The court has now simplified matters by creating standardized versions of both these documents. If attorneys still want to prepare their own Answer and Counterclaim documents, they are still free to do so. In terms of format, the Counterclaim closely mirrors the Complaint form, and the Answer for, clearly sets out in numbered paragraphs each section of the Complaint that the Answer is intended to respond to.  If the Plaintiff receives a Counterclaim they should also file an Answer to the Counterclaim.

Most attorneys will advise that the Answer and a Counterclaim in a Massachusetts Divorce are really procedural documents that don’t in most cases make a substantive difference to your case. They are just a place for the Defendant to acknowledge dates and addresses (or correct them), to make sure that they get entered into the system correctly.

The benefit of having a standard form Answer and Counterclaim is that this puts the acknowledgment of these dates and addresses in a clear, neutral and less “loaded” format. We have had clients who have unnecessarily felt stress or concern when receiving their spouse’s Answer or Counterclaim, because they didn’t understand that this was just a standard form response. The neutral format makes the Answer and Counterclaim look like what it is – just a form with factual allegations, rather than a finely-crafted document full of legal arguments. In addition, it’s a format that is easier for pro-se litigants, without attorneys, to understand.  We applaud the efforts of the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court to simplify the procedure of divorce, so that families can concentrate on the more important issues in the their case.

For more information, you can read the court’s Q&A about the Answer form here.


Popular posts from this blog

What is the purpose of the Divorce Nisi waiting period?

In Massachusetts the statutory waiting period after a Judgment of Divorce and before the divorce becomes final (or absolute) is called the Nisi period. After a divorce case settles or goes to trial, a Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This waiting period serves the purpose of allowing parties to change their mind before the divorce becomes final. If the Judgment of Divorce Nisi has issued but not become final yet, and you and your spouse decide you don't want to get divorced, then you can file a Motion to Dismiss and the Judgment will be undone. Although many of my clients who are getting divorced think the idea of getting back together with their ex sounds crazy, I have had cases where this happened. In addition to offering a grace period to change your mind, the Nisi period has three other legal effects: 1. The most obvious effect of the waiting period is that you cannot remarry during the Nisi period, be

Does a Criminal Record affect Child Custody?

If one of the parents in a custody case has a criminal record, the types of crimes on their record could have an effect on their chances of obtaining custody. In custody cases the issue is always going to come down to whether or not the best interests of the child might be affected. In the most extreme case, in which one parent has been convicted of first degree murder of the other parent, the law specifically prohibits visitation with the children until they are of a suitable age to assent. Similarly, but to a less serious degree, in making custody and visitation determinations the court will consider crimes that would cause one to question the fitness of a parent. These types of crimes would obviously include any violent crime convictions which could call into question whether the children would be in danger around a parent who has shown themselves to resort to violence when faced with conflict. In addition, drug and alcohol abuse offenses would call into question a parent&#

What happens after my Divorce Agreement is approved by a Judge?

If you filed a Joint Petition for Divorce in Massachusetts then you will participate in an uncontested divorce hearing and the Judge will then issue Findings of Fact the day of the hearing.  A Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue after thirty (30) days, and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This means that if you file a Joint Petition for Divorce you are not legally and officially divorced until 120 days after the divorce hearing date. If you filed a Complaint for Divorce  then your case will end either with a trial (if you don't settle) or an uncontested divorce hearing (if you settle).  If you reach an Agreement, then a Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue and be effective as of the date of the uncontested divorce hearing, and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This means that if you file a Complaint for Divorce you are not legally and officially divorced until 90 days after the divorce hearing date. Therefore, for 90 - 120 day