Skip to main content

Things a Judge Can't Do, but You Can! - Part 1: Dispute Resolution Provisions

A number of recent appellate decisions in Massachusetts have addressed the boundaries of what Probate and Family Court trial judges have the power to do.  Their powers are limited by statute, case law and the Massachusetts Constitution, and sometimes judges exceed those powers by crafting solutions that test the boundaries of their authority.

These limitations, however, highlight one of the reasons that more and more people are seeking out-of-court methods of resolving their family conflict.  Agreements reached between the parties can include provisions that the judges don't otherwise have the authority to order.   In this four part blog series we will explore some of the important areas that an Agreement can address but the trial court is limited in addressing.  These are just some of  the most recent examples, and not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the ways that Agreements are better than letting a Judge decide your fate.

Part 1: Future Dispute Resolution - Do you want to return to court first or as a last resort?

The Massachusetts Appeals Court has ruled in Ventrice v. Ventrice, that a Probate and Family Court Judge violated the Massachusetts Constitution by ordering parties in a divorce Judgment to engage in out-of-court mediation prior to filing any further action in the Probate and Family Court.   While it is typical to include these types of dispute resolution clauses in Agreements, the appellate court found that Article 11 of the Declaration of Rights of the Massachusetts Constitution guarantees free access to the courts.

According to the Appeals Court this provision is "an unconstitutional burden to the parties because it delays an objecting party's right to file a complaint in our courts, and also because it forces the parties to bear a likely costly expense for court ordered mediation services."  The case was remanded on this issue and the Appeals Court directed that the "the judge may in her discretion refer the parties to court-appointed dispute resolution in accordance with the Uniform Rules on Dispute Resolution, but may not condition the right of either party to petition the court on participation in such a process." This essentially means that the trial judge can tell the parties that they should consider mediation, but can't force them to participate in it, and can't force them to pay for it.

However, this is a typical provision in many negotiated Agreements.  Especially when parties have chosen to use an alternative dispute resolution process like mediation or collaborative law in the first place, they will often want to commit to returning to that process before going to court.  The Ventrice decision does not preclude those types of provisions from being enforceable if the parties agree to them.

From a practical perspective, if a party really refuses to participate in good faith and just shows up for a mediation meeting they may fulfill the language of a dispute resolution provision, even if they don't fulfill the spirit.  In most instances, though, if someone is spending their time to meet with a mediator, they will at least give settlement a try, and that's all that a dispute resolution provision requires.  It doesn't require people to agree, it just requires them to try to agree.

This may seem like common sense to those who would rather save their money and time rather than spend endless hours fighting in court, but unfortunately our statutes and case law don't always lead to common-sense solutions.  The court in Ventrice has highlighted one of the weaknesses of the judicial system, and the good news is that nothing in this decision takes away your power to put a common sense dispute resolution process in an Agreement.

Next up: Self-Executing Adjustments - Do you want to return to court for changes you can anticipate?


Popular posts from this blog

What is the purpose of the Divorce Nisi waiting period?

In Massachusetts the statutory waiting period after a Judgment of Divorce and before the divorce becomes final (or absolute) is called the Nisi period. After a divorce case settles or goes to trial, a Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This waiting period serves the purpose of allowing parties to change their mind before the divorce becomes final. If the Judgment of Divorce Nisi has issued but not become final yet, and you and your spouse decide you don't want to get divorced, then you can file a Motion to Dismiss and the Judgment will be undone. Although many of my clients who are getting divorced think the idea of getting back together with their ex sounds crazy, I have had cases where this happened. In addition to offering a grace period to change your mind, the Nisi period has three other legal effects: 1. The most obvious effect of the waiting period is that you cannot remarry during the Nisi period, be

Does a Criminal Record affect Child Custody?

If one of the parents in a custody case has a criminal record, the types of crimes on their record could have an effect on their chances of obtaining custody. In custody cases the issue is always going to come down to whether or not the best interests of the child might be affected. In the most extreme case, in which one parent has been convicted of first degree murder of the other parent, the law specifically prohibits visitation with the children until they are of a suitable age to assent. Similarly, but to a less serious degree, in making custody and visitation determinations the court will consider crimes that would cause one to question the fitness of a parent. These types of crimes would obviously include any violent crime convictions which could call into question whether the children would be in danger around a parent who has shown themselves to resort to violence when faced with conflict. In addition, drug and alcohol abuse offenses would call into question a parent&#

What happens after my Divorce Agreement is approved by a Judge?

If you filed a Joint Petition for Divorce in Massachusetts then you will participate in an uncontested divorce hearing and the Judge will then issue Findings of Fact the day of the hearing.  A Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue after thirty (30) days, and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This means that if you file a Joint Petition for Divorce you are not legally and officially divorced until 120 days after the divorce hearing date. If you filed a Complaint for Divorce  then your case will end either with a trial (if you don't settle) or an uncontested divorce hearing (if you settle).  If you reach an Agreement, then a Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue and be effective as of the date of the uncontested divorce hearing, and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This means that if you file a Complaint for Divorce you are not legally and officially divorced until 90 days after the divorce hearing date. Therefore, for 90 - 120 day