Thursday, August 22, 2013

Summer Lovin' Series: How do I get a paternity test?

Summer is finally here.  The air is humid, the sunblock is out, and it's finally time for vacations and school break.  But enjoying summer too much has its consequences.  Our Summer Lovin' series is about those consequences for Unmarried Parents in Massachusetts:

Summer Lovin' Series #10: How do I get a paternity test?

If the presumed father denies that he is the father of a child born to an unmarried mother, then DOR can perform a DNA parentage test if the mother requests DOR services.  If the mother or DOR has filed a complaint seeking child support from the father, and the father disputes paternity, then the father can file a Motion requesting that the court order a DNA test.

This usually takes 6-8 weeks, and can be required by the court if the presumed father or the mother refuses to participate.

You can also obtain a private test which is usually faster but will likely cost approximately $600.

For more information visit our webpage devoted specifically to information for unmarried parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...