Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summer Lovin' Series: Who fills out the Birth Certificate when parents are not married?

Summer is finally here.  The air is humid, the sunblock is out, and it's finally time for vacations and school break.  But enjoying summer too much has its consequences.  Our Summer Lovin' series is about those consequences for Unmarried Parents in Massachusetts:

Summer Lovin' Series #2: Who fills out the Birth Certificate when parents are not married?

The Birth Certificate is completed with information provided by the mother of the baby.  If she is unmarried, then she can request the father's name be included.  In order to include the father's name he must sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity and then his name will appear on the birth certificate.

Signing a Voluntary Acknowledgement has significant legal ramifications.  Even if a father is not the biological father, signing the Voluntary Acknowledgement could make him the legal father, with both the rights and obligations of being the father.  (see this previous related post: Could I be Forced to Pay Child Support for someone else's Child?)

For more information visit our webpage devoted specifically to information for unmarried parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...