Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Lovin' Series: How do Unmarried Parents pay for their Child's Expenses?

Summer is finally here.  The air is humid, the sunblock is out, and it's finally time for vacations and school break.  But enjoying summer too much has its consequences.  Our Summer Lovin' series is about those consequences for Unmarried Parents in Massachusetts:

Summer Lovin' Series #4: How do Unmarried Parents pay for their Child's Expenses?

There are many expenses involved in raising a child, starting with the costs of pregnancy and continuing all the way through college.  When unmarried parents can't agree on how they will divide their child's expenses, then the court can make certain orders regarding support.

The court can order parents to pay child support, extracurricular activities, health insurance, uninsured medical costs, birthing and pregnancy costs, and even education and college expenses.

Child Support is typically paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent for the support of the child. To obtain a court order for child support you can request that DOR file a case on your behalf, or you can file a Complaint to establish support in the court yourself (or with the assistance of an attorney).

Child Support is then typically calculated using a formula called the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines. The formula is presumptive, and Judges can only vary from the formula in specific circumstances. You should consult an attorney to discuss what facts in your case might warrant a variation from the formula.

To view the formula and calculate your Child Support view our Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines Worksheets click here.

For more information visit our webpage devoted specifically to information for unmarried parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...