Skip to main content

I Just Got Divorced, How Do I Change My Name?

While there is a separate Petition for Change of Name in the Probate and Family Court, you can also change your name pursuant to a divorce judgment if your name change happens to be due to a divorce. There is a $150 filing fee plus a $15 surcharge for filing of a Petition for Change of Name. Technically there is only a $100 fee for changing your name pursuant to a Divorce Action, but this fee is seldom enforced.

If you are not sure if you want to resume a former name during a divorce you may still change your name later by filing a Petition for Change of Name with the court, starting a new court case specifically for that purpose.

Whether you change your name pursuant to a divorce case or pursuant to a Petition for Change of Name, there are some important logistics that you should be aware to record the name change with various agencies and organizations.

The court will not contact the Social Security Administration on its own. You will need to obtain a certified copy of your divorce decree (discussed further below), fill out and submit Form SS-5, and mail them both to your nearest social security office. The Internal Revenue Service will be notified automatically by the Social Security Administration concerning your name change.

You will need to go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles in person to have your license and registration changed.

To obtain a new passport, you will have to fill out a different form depending on the status of your current passport:
• If your passport is valid, you have had it for more than one year, and you were over age 16 when it was issued to you, fill out Form DS-82 and follow the directions for submittal. You will need a certified copy of your divorce decree for this form.
• If your passport is valid, you have had it for less than one year, fill out Form DS-5504 and follow the directions for submittal. You will need a certified copy of your divorce decree for this form.
• If you do not have a valid passport, you will need to fill out Form DS-11. You will need a certified copy of your divorce decree for this form. Additionally, you will need to submit this documentation at an Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency, and not by mail.

To change your name on the voter registration rolls, you can go to the town hall, or some websites such as allow for name change submission.  You may also be able to do this at the RMV when you update your license.

You might also want to change your name at the Post Office. You can do this in person, or online.

Finally, regarding actually obtaining a divorce decree, the court does not automatically send you a copy of your official absolute divorce decree (the final decree that becomes available 90 days after the issuance of the Judgment of Divorce Nisi). You can obtain a copy by mail or in person at the court. The fee for a certified copy of the divorce decree is $20, plus $1 for each page except for the first. You can call the court and ask how many pages it will be, and mail in the appropriate payment.


Popular posts from this blog

What is the purpose of the Divorce Nisi waiting period?

In Massachusetts the statutory waiting period after a Judgment of Divorce and before the divorce becomes final (or absolute) is called the Nisi period. After a divorce case settles or goes to trial, a Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This waiting period serves the purpose of allowing parties to change their mind before the divorce becomes final. If the Judgment of Divorce Nisi has issued but not become final yet, and you and your spouse decide you don't want to get divorced, then you can file a Motion to Dismiss and the Judgment will be undone. Although many of my clients who are getting divorced think the idea of getting back together with their ex sounds crazy, I have had cases where this happened. In addition to offering a grace period to change your mind, the Nisi period has three other legal effects: 1. The most obvious effect of the waiting period is that you cannot remarry during the Nisi period, be

Does a Criminal Record affect Child Custody?

If one of the parents in a custody case has a criminal record, the types of crimes on their record could have an effect on their chances of obtaining custody. In custody cases the issue is always going to come down to whether or not the best interests of the child might be affected. In the most extreme case, in which one parent has been convicted of first degree murder of the other parent, the law specifically prohibits visitation with the children until they are of a suitable age to assent. Similarly, but to a less serious degree, in making custody and visitation determinations the court will consider crimes that would cause one to question the fitness of a parent. These types of crimes would obviously include any violent crime convictions which could call into question whether the children would be in danger around a parent who has shown themselves to resort to violence when faced with conflict. In addition, drug and alcohol abuse offenses would call into question a parent&#

The Questions that Lawyers and Mediators aren't asking but should: Let's talk about Pronouns

I recently had the opportunity to train with two of the most prominent mediators in Massachusetts: John Fiske and Diane Neumann . Each time they run a training, John and Diane share what they think is the most important question for a client to answer to have an effective mediation. John says that he thought the most important question is "What do I want?" But then he will tell you, with a knowing smile, that Diane disagreed with him and she would say that the most important question for a client to answer is "Who am I?" I agree with Diane. The best lawyers and mediators ask their clients not just about what they want, but also deep questions about the clients' identity, goals, and values in order to help the clients resolve conflict in the most effective way possible. Despite knowing this, we often fail to ask clients the simplest questions when we first meet them or have them fill out an intake. We fail to give them an opportunity to answer the question “W