Skip to main content

How do I serve Divorce Papers on my spouse (at Fenway Park)?

As Red Sox pitcher Erik Bedard recently found out, how your ex chooses to serve you with family court papers can be private or very public. As described by the New York Post, Bedard was served with a child-support case by a constable (who happened to be a Yankees fan) at Fenway Park before taking the mound for the Red Sox last week. Serving him at work was not required, but might be your preference if you're a Yankees fan.

What are the requirements for service of Divorce or other Family Court Complaints?

Whether or not you tell your spouse you want a divorce before you serve them with the divorce papers is a personal choice (covered by our previous post: How should I tell my spouse that I want a Divorce?). Once a divorce (or other domestic relations) action is begun, though, there is a legal process to ensure that the opposing party is properly served with the Complaint. The Court will provide you with a Summons which must be served on the Defendant.

In Massachusetts, the requirements for service are covered by Massachusetts Domestic Relations Procedure Rule 4.

Rule 4 requires that service of the summons:
  • be performed by a "sheriff, by his deputy, or by a special sheriff; by any other disinterested person..." We typically use the "other disinterest person" in the form a Constable;
  • be accompanied by a copy of the Complaint; and
  • be made by having the Defendant accept service by signing in front of a notary, or by having the summons delivered to the Defendant personally (in their hands directly), except in the case of some types of complaints which can left at their last and usual place of residence and mailed (see Rule 4(d)(2) for a list of these complaints).
Once served, the Summons must be returned to the Court with proof of service (such as the notarized signature of the Defendant or a sworn statement of the serving constable). The Summons must be served within 90 days after the filing of the Complaint or the action could be dismissed.

If your spouse won't accept service then where you have them served is a matter of choice. Usually we serve people at home, but if we expect them to avoid service (by hiding or not answering their door) then we may be forced to serve them at work or some other public place they are known to hang out often. You may want to consider how serving your spouse at work or in front of their friends could be embarrassing. Although it was satisfying for the Yankees fan to serve Bedard at Fenway Park, it's probably not going to help the chance of that case settling.

Of course, this could also be a unique opportunity for the Jumbotron...


Popular posts from this blog

What is the purpose of the Divorce Nisi waiting period?

In Massachusetts the statutory waiting period after a Judgment of Divorce and before the divorce becomes final (or absolute) is called the Nisi period. After a divorce case settles or goes to trial, a Judgment of Divorce Nisi will issue and it will become Absolute after a further ninety (90) days. This waiting period serves the purpose of allowing parties to change their mind before the divorce becomes final. If the Judgment of Divorce Nisi has issued but not become final yet, and you and your spouse decide you don't want to get divorced, then you can file a Motion to Dismiss and the Judgment will be undone. Although many of my clients who are getting divorced think the idea of getting back together with their ex sounds crazy, I have had cases where this happened. In addition to offering a grace period to change your mind, the Nisi period has three other legal effects: 1. The most obvious effect of the waiting period is that you cannot remarry during the Nisi period, be

New Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines (2021): Big Changes, Little Changes, Typos & some Unexpected Results

UPDATE: The court has released a web calculating version of the 2021 MA Child Support Guidelines Worksheet .  It resolves some of the typos referred to below, but the unexpected calculations still apply. Every four years, per federal mandate, the Massachusetts Probate & Family Court revisits the Child Support Guidelines through the work of a Task Force appointed by the Chief Justice.  The 2021 Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines were recently posted.  They take effect on October 4, 2021.    If you are interested in a training on all of these changes to the new Child Support Guidelines: DMTA Presents the 2021 MA Child Support Guidelines Update  – Attend this event to learn the key updates you need to know for your mediation clients. Presented by Justin Kelsey of  Divorce Mediation Training Associates  and  Skylark Law & Mediation, PC . For a full comparison of all the  tracked changes between the 2018 and 2021 Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines you can download a pdf sho

Does a Criminal Record affect Child Custody?

If one of the parents in a custody case has a criminal record, the types of crimes on their record could have an effect on their chances of obtaining custody. In custody cases the issue is always going to come down to whether or not the best interests of the child might be affected. In the most extreme case, in which one parent has been convicted of first degree murder of the other parent, the law specifically prohibits visitation with the children until they are of a suitable age to assent. Similarly, but to a less serious degree, in making custody and visitation determinations the court will consider crimes that would cause one to question the fitness of a parent. These types of crimes would obviously include any violent crime convictions which could call into question whether the children would be in danger around a parent who has shown themselves to resort to violence when faced with conflict. In addition, drug and alcohol abuse offenses would call into question a parent&#